Which cabins are the most sought after and why?
We think about choosing a cabin when we decide on the route. And it is quite logical (if you are not a fan of only “Suites”) – after all, the area of a regular cabin on a motor ship is more like a train compartment than a hotel room. Not all cabins are in equal demand – there are always sales hits and nepotreb.
The general rule is that the higher the deck, the closer the cabin is to the bow, the lower the vibration and noise level, the higher the comfort and the higher the price.
The cost of the cabin may vary depending on the comfort. Usually the more expensive cabins are on the upper decks, the cheaper ones are on the lower decks. In the hold and on the main deck there are larger staterooms, such as the 4-bed cabins. On the upper decks there are usually 1- and 2-bed cabins and suites.
Single tourists have access to the accommodation
- to the 1-bed cabins;
- in a 2-bed cabin without any accommodation – at the price of a 1-bed cabin. But this option is not always available, usually as part of the stock;
- 4-bed cabins – it is important that all the tourists in the cabin are of the same sex.
For three tourists it is possible to buy a 4-seater cabin without a fourth passenger – the cost of the trip will increase proportionally and only after the fourth tourist’s meal.
Tourists travelling with children are offered special discounted rates:
- Discount -5% for children under 12 years of age when staying in the main place; Children aged 4-14 years and over are offered a special discounted price when staying at an additional seat;
- Children under 4 years of age can be accommodated free of charge on many boats in an extra seat.
The size of discounts and age of children is the most common, but on some ships it is different;
Children under two years of age can only be accommodated with the agreement of the shipping company. This is due to the fact that such babies need a special daily routine, food and care.
Route duration . The longer the cruise, the higher the comfort requirements. The spacious cabin has a stronger sleep and more space for your wardrobe.
And if you pay for the cabin “comfort” – with a bathroom and shower – you will avoid a lot of inconvenience. And on the contrary, in a dynamic cruise of the weekend, when there is minimum time left for sleeping and rest – you can save on comfort.
Deck selection. As a rule, three-deck vessels have their own nuances:
- The lower deck aft cabins are located next to the engine compartment, where you can feel the vibration and the splash of the wave in the forward part. Pros – the least passability; closer to the water is not so felt heat in hot sunny weather; the most affordable price.
- When choosing a cabin on the main deck, it is necessary to consider that here the greatest passability, especially on the starboard side – during landing-drop and mooring. Among the advantages: it is no longer a hold – cabins with full-fledged windows; on the main deck there is a reception desk, a restaurant.
- On the middle deck it is necessary to take into account that in the stern part there is a vibration of the motor and noise from entertaining actions on the stern of a boat deck. The forward part of the middle deck is considered to be the most comfortable and safe location on the tri-deck ship.
- The boat deck has better visibility. The suites are located here and it is said a lot. There are also fewer cabins here than on any other deck. On the boat deck there is a restaurant for tourists on the middle and boat deck and a bar – take this into account when choosing the location of your cabin. And when choosing an economy class cabin, pay attention to the air conditioner, because in hot weather the upper part of the ship heats up a lot and the cabin feels stuffy.
Note: Hull vibration is noticeable during maneuvering of the vessel: during acceleration, braking, turns, i.e. during sharp deceleration or acceleration of the ship’s propellers’ rotation, and especially when the propellers work “sober”, i.e. in different directions.
Thus, strong vibrations are temporary in nature, unpleasant, especially if the vibration of the hull itself is supplemented by noise, squeaks, tapping from poorly fixed lamps, locker doors, dishes.
Location of the cabin. Each deck has one to several dozen cabins and all cabins have their pros and cons. It is important to consider:
- In addition to the cabins, there are also common areas on the decks – toilets, showers, bars, children’s playrooms, bars, restaurants, etc. And this means that in the cabins nearby you will get “charm” from this neighborhood.
- The stairways are always more crowded, so keep in mind that the corner cabin will not be as quiet as the next one.
- On the stern of the middle deck and the aft lower deck, you can feel the vibration from the engine compartment, especially when taxiing and mooring.
Choice of starboard or starboard. As a rule, the ship is moored on the starboard side, so there are fewer tourists on the starboard side of the ship during mooring and mooring, it is more convenient to look at the oncoming ships.
In river navigation, as well as on the roads, right-hand traffic, respectively, on the starboard side – the coast is closer, and when approaching the cities you can see from the cabin window.
Ship reconstruction. Three-deck vessels were built in the sixties of the last century and most of the vessels have undergone reconstruction, which also touched on improving comfort. Washbasin cabins are increasingly being reconstructed into comfort cabins with air conditioning, bathroom and shower in the cabin.